On January 19, 2017, during the first week of spring semester, over 100 UMN community members gathered in the Mississippi Room in Coffman for How Will You Make the World Better?
This resource fair, organized by the Women’s Center, had over 15 amazing organizations from campus and the community, ready to connect attendees with upcoming events, involvement opportunities, and more!
Because art and culture are such important parts of the struggle for a better world, the event also included a spoken word set from two powerful local poets. Both Fatima Camara and Guante work with a local organization called TruArtSpeaks, whose mission is to cultivate literacy, leadership, and social justice through the study and application of spoken word and hip hop culture.
January 19 was also a National Day of Action to #FreeBresha. Folks wrote their wishes for Bresha’s freedom, on a board that will continue to be added to and displayed in the Women’s Center study/lounge. You can learn more about Bresha Meadows here.
Throughout the event, people helped fold zines at the zine-folding station (Feminist FAQs and a guide for “People Who Want to ‘Do’ Something But Don’t Know What to Do,” both created by Guante and Olivia Novotny, Women’s Center Communications Assistant).
There was also poster-making for the Minnesota Women’s March on Saturday, a photo booth, and folks sharing action steps to make the world better in 2017 – and beyond. We’ll share some more photos here and on social media – check back soon.
Thank you to everyone who came out to get involved, take action, and find community! If you didn’t get a chance to stop by, check out the following list of campus and community organizations who were present and get connected with them via social media!
– Acara – University of Minnesota
– U of M American Indian Faculty & Staff Association
– The Aurora Center for Advocacy & Education
– Center for Community-Engaged Learning, U of M
– Disability Resource Center
– Feminist Student Activist Collective
– Gender and Sexuality Center for Queer and Trans Life
– Girls Are Powerful Organization
– Higher Education Consortium for Urban Affairs (HECUA)
– UMN LFSA (Latino/a Faculty and Staff Association)
– MN Neighborhoods Organizing for Change
– Multicultural Center for Academic Excellence – University of Minnesota
– Multicultural Student Engagement – University of Minnesota
– University of Minnesota-Fraternity & Sorority Life
– University Student Legal Service at University of Minnesota
– University Women of Color (U of MN)
– Women for Political Change